Re OT Standalone defrag for Win98

Not to labor the issue or beat a dead horse, but if one's drives are
nicely partitioned (C: for Opsys--and apps if it's Windows), D: for DOS
apps, E: for data) one doesn't need to defrag as much.

Jordan's saga, though, calls to mind a further aspect of the generation
gap in education (I'll leave Harry and Robert to slug that one out;
they've both made some good points, IMHO). The view is prevalent, esp. in
my generation, that "kids have grown up with computers; they all know
everything about them." Well, yes, they know how to point and click, drag
and drop. But I suspect the proportion of youths who really know what's
going on inside is pretty much the same as it is in their parents'
(though probably not their grandparents') generation. We have a college
kid who works part-time at the paper. He's NEVER opened a box and
probably wouldn't know a CPU from a DIMM. Some people are curious about
why things work; others aren't.
Patricia