Re: Send a keystroke to Xy?

contrast, the equivalent in AutoIt would be:

InputBox($AllArgs, "Alarm", "The time is " & $now, "", 600, 180)
Yes, that's better (except I don't like the parens, but that's a personal
preference)
this nonsense of using variable_name in some contexts and
%variable_name% in others.

That's funny because I finally understood the difference between

A =
  and

A :=
by realizing that it's the same as the difference between SV and SX. And this relates to when you use %...% or not. But I think that they complicate it by not requiring %...% in cases where a variable would be *expected*. As you say, consistency is superior to simplicity.
 And text strings are enclosed in quotes,
as the gods intended them to be.
Yes. That's one of the fundamental differences between XPL and XyBasic: XPL
takes everything as meant to be literal text strings unless they are
signalled by being surrounded by guillemets or the like. So text is the
norm, commands and functions are treated as the exceptions. In XyBasic,
text is treated as the exception, and is enclosed in quotes. Recently, I've
made XyBasic more forgiving, so to get BX ci /a/b/Q2 you used to have to type:

comx "ci /a/b/"

but now you need only type:

ci /a/b/
The backend has a table of all the commands (such as ci) and if they begin a line, it knows how to translate it into the appropriate XPL.
AutoIt also appears to be more
capable, and it certainly makes it easier to access the Win API. The
user community is much larger, and generally helpful, though somewhat
rebarbative -- fools are not suffered, and lord help you if you ask a
question that can be answered by reading the manual or searching the
forums. I like it.
Thanks, I'll give it a harder look. Just remember whom to thank for putting
you on the Autohotkey (AutoIt) path. :)