Advice on 4.018

I downloaded XyWrite4.018 from vetusware and after tinkering with the result was able to open it.  Tinkering means first tries produced the familiar full black screen with white letters and Xyquest I.D..  Latest tries now produce blue upper-half screen with TTG I.D.  Why, I have no idea.  The Xy4 directory seems to be intact.  I use an XP system.
    The reason I need advice is that I used XY3 until 1997; since then, XyWin.  In that nine-year lapse I've forgotten what little I remember from the non-Win version.  A recent Robert Holmgren post says the latest (mid-90s) manuals for the DOS and WIN versions were published within months of each other and have much the same basic information.
    I no longer have the magnificent Xy3 manual and handbooks, which in any case would probably have limited applicability to Xy4.  Therefore, two questions:
    1. Is the XyWin Reference Guide, which I have, the place to start learning how to use 4.018?
    2. What other 4.018 material, if any, is available to someone who has regressed to novice status?

            Bob White