Re: Just wondering

Carlo,

I don't presume to speak for Rafe, but I often have all nine windows open,
especially if I'm writing a news story for which I've interviewed three or
four people. One window is the text-in-progress; other windows contain the
interviews and reference materials I've downloaded from the web or received
by email. Another window may hold the assignment note I received from my
editor, so I can check occasionally to see if I've left anything out.
Meanwhile, I may have one window set aside for callbacks about future
stories. And half-way through, I'll try to search for some esoteric fact I
know is buried in another file and hit CTRL-F, only to be reminded that
"Function Requires an Empty Window"!

Years ago, I worked at a publishing house that used Word Perfect, which (in
those days) could only muster two windows at a time. I was used to XyWrite,
which from my earliest introduction to it had always offered nine windows,
and I felt like I was crippled being cut down to two!

Richard A. Sherer