To: SHAFER --CMSNAMES

From: Allan Needell
Subject: XyWin, Note Bene, ECCO and misc.

Jack,

I played around a little last night with some success, but like you, not
complete. The keyboard entry 00=JM,(C,o,p,y,) does indeed copy selected text to
the Windows clipboard. 00=JM,(,P,a,s,t,e) moves the contents of the clipboard
into Xywin. My problem is that even if I assign these function calls to
Cntrl-Insert and Shift-Insert (one of the keyboard shortcuts recognized by the
ECCO Shooter, I still can't seem to move text from Xywrite to Ecco. (It moves
text the other way fine). I can do it in a two step process (copy and then
paste into ECCO) but the nice thing about shooter is its supposed to work with
one step.

Let me give a try at explaining what's going on. (Obviously my knowledge is far
from complete). With the keyboard assignment 32=DW,JM,(,C,o,p,y,) when you
press that key, the following happens:

1) The DW (define word) function call is executed, i.e. the word the cursor is
on is selected.

2) The JM (jump to menu item) function all is executed. The JM call needs and
argument. In the keyboard arguments must be spelled out one letter at a time
(separated by commas). (In an xpl program you would omit the commas.) The
argument "Copy" tells XYWIN to execute that part of the Menu File labeled
"Copy." Clearly the Menu file associates instructions to copy selected text to
the Windows clipboard with the label "Copy".

As for 00=DW,MW, c,p,KP, that's clearly a mistake.

MW is like JM and tells XYWIN to execute the Windows function described in the
following argument. Like JM, it requires and argument. cp is the argument for
copy to clipboard, pa pastes from clipboard.

What this suggests is we should try: 00=DW,MW,(,c,p,)

I simply have not had the time to try it. It should work. But what function
call is KP? It is not listed in any of the manuals I have.

PS: I hope you won't mind if I post this (with a little introduction) on the
xywrite list as well. Maybe someone there will jump in.)

Allan Needell, Dept. of Space History, Nat'l Air & Space Museum
   Smithsonian Institution, MRC 311, Washington, DC 20560 i:
nassh100@xxxxxxxx; b: nassh100@sivm; CServe: 71461,1115
      tel 202/357-2828; fax 202/786-2947