From: owner-xywrite@xxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-xywrite@xxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Kari Eveli
Sent: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 1:40 AM
To: XyList
Subject: Re: using xywrite to write programmed learning modules

>Just checking: should I use version 3 in DOS under XP, or version 4, or go for one of the windows compatible versions or even repurchase (3rd time?) Nota Bene? And which was the first version which could call to the screen different text files?

I think you should continue to use the version you are most familiar with. To get the most of it,
consider using MS Virtual PC (a free product) to run DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.11. Windows 3.1x DOS
boxes are useful for multitasking Xy 3+ or DOS NB 3.0 and other DOS editors like Brief in this
environment.

>I have to clear out all the cobwebs in my memory and remember how to program in XPL, but I did do some very complex stuff with it fifteen years ago, so it can be done....

Try to make the code readable. It helps a lot. I programmed a small preprocessor for writing
readable xy programs in the 1990s for this purpose. I will make it available on the Net soon. I will
post a notice when it is ready for downloading.

Best regards,

Kari Eveli
LEXITEC Book Publishing (Finland)
lexitec@xxxxxxxx