Re: SmartWord for *Linux* ??

** Reply to note from pienciak@xxxxxxxx (Pienciak) Wed, 27 Nov 96 13:21:06 EST

>> Myron Gochnauer wrote:
>>> can figure it out. I think XY5 was going to be a Win95/WinNT product.
>>
>> Not according to Ken Frank it isn't -- it's a win-32 product,
>> meaning it'll run under windoz as well as w95.
>> Or has he made some other later announcement?
>>
> Does that mean it will run under OS2?
>
> Richard T. Pienciak
> pienciak@xxxxxxxx

If it's a Win-32S app, it ought to run. One thing that I devoutly hope TTG
is paying close attention to is the level of Win-32S base code. MicroSoft
Win-32S is presently up to v1.30; OS/2 supports v1.25B. The principle here
seems to be something along the famous old Bill Gates principle that "if
Lotus 1-2-3 still runs, it ain't finished" -- except that now it's OS/2 he
craves to break. Every time OS/2 matches their Win-32S spec, MS changes
it. Interestingly, ISDs like Adobe, which used to just follow mindlessly
wherever MS led them and raise the Win-32S level, no longer march in step.

Under OS/2 v4, there is still a workaround for v1.30 (OS/2 "hibernates"
while you run pure DOS+whatever at any level you want), but it's tortured.
TTG should understand that this is a make-or-break issue for some of us.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx