Re: How do you turn off scripting, V.B.S., etc.?

Michael Edwards said:

>>I must admit I don't have the faintest idea what (scripting host) it's
for, and when it's used - but until I feel sure about it, I really don't
want to do anything as drastic and
irreversible as deleting it; I just want to make sure it won't run without
my
consent.
   >Will you reply that that's impossible? *Sigh!* I suppose that would
be
typical of Microsoft.

You have to delete it to disable it, sorry. But if it came on a CD, you can
always reinstall it.

Windows Scripting Host, as far as I know, is a Win98 thing. It's main
purpose is to allow Visual Basic Scripting (vbs) routines (macros, programs,
whatever you want to call the little things) in Microsoft programs such as
Internet Explorer, Outlook, and Office programs (and of course Windows 98
OS). You're probably safe with Win95 there.

Here's an article at CNet on the issue:
http://news.cnet.com/news//0-1005-200-1902512.html?tag=st.cn.sr.ne.1

>>But what is Active X anyway?

Active X is a programming language, kinda like JavaScript (though JavaScript
is a scripting language), but specific only to Microsoft Internet Explorer
(I haven't seen it work on any other browser yet), and with more features,
being a programming language versus a scripting language. One thing I find
handy is at excite.com, they implemented recently an Active X portfolio
manager for stocks. It's kinda cool, runs inside the browser, you don't
have to download a separate program and take up hard drive space. Again, I
think Active X is more functional in 5.0, and may not even be useable in
4.0. I haven't used 4.0 for a long time.

Have fun,
T. Odum
http://www.louisacomm.net/~teddy2/
teddy2@xxxxxxxx