problem with tab set

If a similar query has already been posted at an earlier date, my
apologies. (Apologies, too, for the length of what follows. Our problem
just didn't lend itself to a concise description!)

Our editorial department, which has worked quite happily in XyWrite 3.56
for many years, is in the midst of slowly changing over to XyWin as we
upgrade our hardware. A problem has just been brought to my attention by
one of our staffers, and I can't for the life of me figure out what's
causing it. Any help/suggestions by list members would be appreciated.

This person is trying to create a form that includes multiple tab
settings. He specifies the settings and begins to type in the text of the
form. After one tab, the text is inserted just as it should be. But when
he tabs twice, the cursor moves to the correct tab position, but inserted
text jumps back to the left--though not all the way back to the first tab
position. Even worse, after about 6-8 characters have been entered, the
display wraps back to the beginning of the same line, and new characters
are superimposed over old ones. If you type all the way to where the line
wraps, the wrap works fine, and the characters in the previous line sort
themselves out--usually. If the line isn't long enough to wrap, the
display remains jumbled. This happens at all tab stops after the first one.

This seems to be entirely a display problem, because if we print the
file, it comes out correct; only graphics view is affected--expanded and
draft views both display the tabs correctly. It seems also to be the result
of some miscommunication between Windows and XyWrite, because it occurs
only when a Windows printer driver is loaded; with the XyWrite driver
loaded, everything is fine. If you start with the Windows driver, the
display is messed up; switching to the XyWrite driver will correct it, but
then if you reload the Windows driver, it's messed up again. Unfortunately,
some people here prefer to use the Windows drivers because the graphics
view display is crisper and clearer.

Oh--we've also tried changing the default unit of measurement, but
nothing seems to help. We started with the default set at .1", then
changed it to 1", then to points, then to picas. No difference.

Last oddity. The problem is much worse when we're using a Times Roman
typeface; it is less troublesome with a Courier font, but that font
won't work for our form.

The machine running XyWrite is a Compaq Pentium Prolinea 5100.
(Other machines in the department duplicate the problem.) The printer
drivers loaded for both Windows and XyWrite are for the HP Laserjet IIID.
We have talked with TTG's tech support, and their suggestion was to try a
different Windows printer driver. So we loaded the basic HP Laserjet III
driver--same problem.

Anyone have any idea what's causing this and how we might resolve it? Any
and all help is greatly appreciated in advance!

Pamela Upton
Assistant Managing Editor
Univ. of North Carolina Press
upton1@xxxxxxxx