Re: Staying with XP after April 8 2014 (was Win 7 vs Win 8)

Fred,

I use 4DOS but it has neither FileFind nor ffind.
The 4DOS.INFO site shows nothing on either. Please advise.

Just to jump in here, 4DOS, a replacement and enhancement for http://command.comcommand.com, has FileFind (ffind), a grep-ish utility one switch of which allows for searching text in a file (ffind /T"nnn"). Add the /S switch and it will dive through subdirectories. It's slow on my system, but I'm running BOXER on Mac OS X 10.6.8 (a creditable XyWrite performer without full U2 capabilities). 4DOS is free; you can find a link to it and many other very interesting stuff at http://WWW.4DOS.INFOWWW.4DOS.INFO. On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 5:58 PM, Carl Distefano <mailto:cld@xxxxxxxxcld@xxxxxxxx> wrote: Reply to note from Bill Troop <mailto:billtroop@xxxxxxxxbilltroop@xxxxxxxx> Wed, 12 Mar 2014 11:09:57 +0000 Bill: > findstr is still part of Win 8.1. I wonder if it now has more > intelligence than previously? For example, it seems able to > read pdfs. It reads PDFs fine on my prehistoric WinXP SP3 system, a Dell Dimension 8400 that I bought in September of 2004. Seems like yesterday. (We, here, dwell in prehistory, do we not?) -- Carl Distefano mailto:cld@xxxxxxxxcld@xxxxxxxx