which computer

Dear Folks,

I need a new computer to replace the "made-up" one with Windows ME on it that has unresolvable hardware problems.

My guy (A) has offered to get me a Dell or a Tiger Direct and take this one back. A professional (B) I consulted warns against either. "Cheap parts," he says. He can make me a better one for $650. (I have known B and bought stuff from him for several years, so he isn't just any salesman. I have quite a bit of confidence in him. Perhaps more in him than in the friend who does computers on the side and made me the faulted one. )

My question is, which computer, not which guy, as I can really continue with both or either. And which Windows program?

Both warn that software developments may make DOS programs unusable later. ME is already causing me problems with getting to a DOS prompt. I had no problem with Windows 95--and still don't on my laptop. But of course the difficulty is in other programs one might want to/have to run such as virus-protection stuff, isn't it? And in email delivery programs.

Xywrite is essential to my life as a professional indexer. I have written many programs for indexing. I convert files to Cindex, a Windows program, for sorting and delivery. I am very conversant with it--and entirely ignorant of  computer issues below that level.

Harriet Hodges
Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.