Re: XyWin follow-up question

On Monday, 10 Aug 1998, Olson, Timothy wrote:

> A. XyWrite III's lifespan at our company is limited because of program
> conflict with network upgrades.
> 	Our LAN is being upgraded from Netware 3 (which is no longer being
> supported) to Netware 4, which is 32-bit. Part of this upgrade involves a
> piece of software called Client 32. I'm not involved with any of that, so
> my understanding of it is rather limited. But what I *do* know is that a
> conflict is occurring between Client 32 and XyWrite III, the result being
> keyboard amnesia...

An unredeemed III+/DOS aficionado, I must leave the Xy4/XyWin questions
you pose in subsequent paragraphs to those better qualified to answer.
That said...

I administer two Novell LANs, one 3.2 and one 4.11, together comprising
nearly 250 users. There is nothing (that I've found) inherent in the
4.11 operating system that demands 32-bitness from applications or the
workstation software (the client). The client does indeed come in two
flavors, 16- and 32-bit, but this does not in general preclude the use
of 16-bit applications with the 32-bit client. In fact, except for a few
NT users, we run exclusively 16-bit apps on a mixture of 16- and 32-bit
clients on machines ranging from 386DXs to Pentia. Only one program (an
installer, as it happens) won't run under Client 32, but the major app
it installs does so happily. (Go figure.)

I suspect that your problem might be due to a specific conflict between
XyIII and the particular revision of Client 32 you're using. (Have your
MIS people gotten the latest rev off the Novell website?) I use XyIII
on the 4.11 network with the 16-bit client with no problems; I've not
experienced your difficulties, but tomorrow morning will endeavor to
do so.

Would your MIS department be willing to support both 16- and 32-bit
clients? The only credible argument against it (that I see) is if
they want *every last app* to be 32-bit, *and* want to use the FAT32 file
system exclusively. Short of that, I'm enough of a XyWrite fanatic that
I would set up a CONFIG.SYS menu with two options: one to load the
16-bit client for XyWrite and one to load the 32-bit client for every-
thing else.

Your mileage may vary.  :-)

Regards,
Stephen Moore