Re: Reading UNIX Type Files In XyWrite III+

On Wed, 16 Sep 1998, L. Anderson wrote:

> XyWriters,
>
> Can someone be so kind as to tell me what I need to do to get my DOS
> XyWrite III+ to read downloaded UNIX text files other than as one long
> line? UNIX uses line feed (0A (010)) for end of line whereas DOS
> XyWrite expects carriage return (0D (013)), line feed (0A (010)). I can
> write a filter any number of ways but would like XyWrite to read such
> files automatically. My old DOS Word Perfect handles UNIX files
> automatically but I prefer XyWrite.

Three methods:

1. Make sure the program/protocol you use to download does the
conversion automatically. Zmodem, kermit, Ftp Explorer etc. can all be
told that the file is ascii, and that ascii files should have the LF
changed to CR+LF. One step, no further editing or conversion required.

2. Use a program to change the file after downloading. CRFIX, unix2dos
etc. will do that, but it's an extra step.

3. Open the file in an editing program that wraps the lines and then
saves the file with CF+LF. Dos Edit, NoteTab etc. will do that. Again,
it's an extra step

*****
Dorothy Day
Indiana University
day@xxxxxxxx
*****
	"He also surfs who only sits and waits."