Re: NotaBene DOS 3 question

At 10:23 PM 1/17/08 -0500, Martin Osborne wrote:
I don't understand well what your code does; would it resolve the "jerky cursor problem" with Xy4 (and presumably Xy3) on XP? If it does, I would be very interested in trying it. (Tame helps, but it has side-effects.)
It doesn't now, but it might help indirectly if I ever get the halt
function to work.
I don't use XP and don't have the jerky cursor. I think the jerky cursor is
a windows scheduler thing. I would think that cranking up XY's priority
would help with that problem, but the problem with cranking up XY's
priority in general is that XY spends most of its time in a (useless)
keyboard spin loop (as per standard DOS programming practices), and if you
crank up XY's priority, your machine in general spends all its CPU time in
XY's keyboard spin loop. If you can make XY wait for keystrokes instead of
spinning, then you can crank up XY's priority to maximum, without the bad
side effect of dragging down your machine as a whole.
As to getting my module updated -- it isn't all that easy, I'm afraid, and
won't happen fast. Requires a lot of looking around with a debugger, and
using a debugger with XY is very hard, because of the way that XY takes
over the keyboard interrupt. I used NuMega's softice with a separate
terminal when I first worked on my module, but I'm not set to do that at
the moment.

Wally Bass