Re: DOS printers

Thanks for the replies.

Bill, I think what you're saying is that a DOS program will pass its files
on to a Windows interface.

His problem is that he doesn't use Windows. He deleted Windows from his
computer and runs it entirely in DOS. So he can't pass DOS files on to a
Windows interface. (I told him he was stupid to delete Windows, but he
wouldn't listen.)

It looks like he's going to have to re-install Windows the hard way.

Norman

At 10:39 PM 5/24/01 -0400, Bill Troop wrote:

>>They no longer manufacture the HP2100, and the HP 2200 doesn't support DOS.
>
>Aren't these two different things? The printer doesn't have to "support"
>DOS. I think you can use the old WP LaserJet III
>drivers and they'll work with just about any HP printer on the market now
>-- or Lexmark for that matter. Or use one of the WP Postscript drivers.
>They too will work fine. When you ask for "DOS" support I think you mean
>primitive level DOS command line support -- not application level support.
>
>I am talking off the top of my head, however, and would love to be corrected.
>
>One thing: it would be crazy to buy an HP II for $100. The print quality is
>atrocious by today's standards. Even an HP IV is bad by today's standards.
>This is a 1200 dpi world.
>
>A Postscript compatible laser printer would probably cost at least $300, I
>suppose, but you would know that it would work with nearly any software
>written over the past 10 years, for at least the next 10 or 15 years. Isn't
>that a good bet?

Norman Bauman
411 W. 54 St. Apt. 2D
New York, NY 10019