Re: The Chicken or the Egg?

≪	As regards XyWrite, Wintext is the ORIGINAL XyWrite. It's the Atex
editor that Dave Ericson, et al, ported to DOS, founded XyQuest ... and
the rest was history. Wintext was written by an ex-Atex programmer named
Robert Cook, ≫

≪	It seems that the sainthood we all accord Dave Erickson should at
least extend to Robert Cook. ≫ --me

≪	... Dave Erickson deserves his sainthood. He wrote every line of
the original XyWrite. It was based on Atex, but most definitely not
ported from it. He has never heard of Robert Cook. ≫ --TTG / 5/7/97:7:51AM

Relieved to learn that we've been worshiping all this time at the right
altar (but sorry I must start wondering again how XyQuest missed out on
the potential for xyWrite inherent in PostScript software interpreters).

≪	It is possible that Wintext was based on AtexWriter, which itself
was a custom version of XyWrite written by XYQUEST for Atex. (Confused
yet?) Here's what I mean:

XyWrite (xyquest)--> AtexWriter (xyquest)--> WinText (robert cook) ≫

? Atex has two incarnations, the original--the basis of xyWrite--and a
subsequent version--AtexWriter, xyWrite customized for Atex? Is
AtexWriter widely used?

≪	XyWrite was written before the advent of Windows, so it hard to
imagine how it was based on a Windows product. ≫

I wrote that off to name evolution--i.e., assumed that the name wasn't
originally winText. 	--a