Re: OT: combining Word files for XyWrite project

Using WordPort's filters, I'm going to be importing Word 97 files into
XyWrite 3+ so that I can edit them. As it turns out, the author of this
book created a separate Word file for each page in the book!

Good God!
You can concatenate (merge) files via DOS, but it works only for text files (that is, it produces garbage as far as Word is concerned). But if you can convert the files somehow first, here is the syntax for using at the c:\ prompt:

copy file1+file2 both
That will make the file named "both" contain first what's in the file named "file1" then the file which named "file2".
You may be reduced to merging all of them in Word first. There are Word
macro's that could help. But failing that, you might just have to issue a
bunch of commands a few hundred times in Word to merge them.

My heart goes out to you.