Re: forced upgrades

David Pogue (he of the NY Times) did a podcast on how Snow Leopard is lean
and mean. Apparently, they slimmed it down.

≪Actually, for a subsection of Mac users, they won't necessarily move to the new version. I have spoken with several of them, and a lot of them either have older macs doing certain functions for their businesses, or are just happy with their current setup that works exactly the way they want. So why change it? Also, they tend to keep the older machine, transition it to some other task, and buy a new mac.≫ For that matter, there are still 286s out there running print servers and various other things. I heard the Mars rovers have older technology on board because it was thought to be more robust (or at any rate, more thoroughly tested) than newer processors.
Harry Binswanger hb@xxxxxxxx