DOS nostalgia

Michael Edwards wrote:  I'm so sorry about it - I really miss all that old DOS software,
which has the status of nostalgia for me now - the best of it has an
economical elegance approaching aesthetic beauty, in place of the
inefficient, unreliable, snail-slow bloatware you get instead now -
but it seems too much of a headache to keep the older programs going
now, especially since I'm only slightly adept with the technicalities
of computers.

This strikes a chord. Nowadays you can have a complete DOS machine within your Windows machine. One
needs an up-to-date browser and an email program, but for many computing chores a virtual DOS
machine is very usable. Setting a virtual machine can be a bit tedious, but once complete you have
access to your favorite applications. I still use XyWrite, DOS MS-Word, Xtree, Clipper, Brief, DOS
batch files and utilities. Windows 3.1 applications like Quark, Ventura, Corel produce portable
PostScript files you can distill using a modern version of Adobe Acrobat. You can have the best of
both worlds under one hood. If you knew how to run DOS and Win 3.1, you can do it still today.

Best regards,

Kari Eveli
LEXITEC Book Publishing (Finland)
lexitec@xxxxxxxx