Re: xy3 installation problems

> What *exactly* happens when you try to implement Xy4-DOS? I.e., when you
> issue EDITOR.EXE on the DOS command line, what occurs? Do you see the Xy4
> splash screen? If so, even if it howls whines or beeps at you, or crashes,
> the problem is very likely to do with your configuration (quite a delicate
> matter).

when i type EDITOR and press return, it hangs. i am forced to reset the
machine.

i get a little better luck with "INSTALL.EXE": the screen clears, i get the
message:

INSTALL
XyWrite 4.0 (marching dots go here)

and then i get a bunch of funky, scattered graphics that usually indicate that
something is being graphically displayed but presuming that the screen is a
full 80x25. from here, i can't do anything. maybe i could proceed blindly if
i knew the correct commands, but i don't think it would do me any good anyway.

> Do you have any prior XyWrite experience?

i have about four years of experience with XyWrite as a text-punching user;
i've never been involved with programming, administration, maintenance or
installation.

> I meant to add: REName STARTUP.INT (e.g. to STARTUP.BAK) so that it isn't
> found when EDITOR.EXE loads. What do you see? 60x16 might work, even though
> it is quite unusual.

thanks for the tip; unfortunately, i get no change. (the QP still hangs.)

> XYDOSX.EXE is for Xy4, not Xy3. This QP machine sounds like a bizarre place
> to start using a complex program like XyWrite. Why not learn the basics on a
> real computer?

because real computers don't weigh less than two pounds and run for 100+ hours
on four AA batteries. :) given my druthers, my current WP of choice is emacs,
but i've been looking for a truly portable writing machine for years, and when
i saw the QuickPad Pro with its so-called DOS-compatibility, i immediately
thought, "XyWrite!" (and to clarify, my strict definition of "portable"
doesn't include laptops. i need something i can use over a holiday weekend at
my family's off-grid lake cabin. a three-hour battery will be spent on the
first day. albeit i have a small solar collector for recharging the battery;
it's cumbersome and not very convenient, but better than nothing.)

Harry: thanks for your xy3 suggestions; running the xy3 editor has the
identical result as xy4: it just hangs.

both of you, thanks for the tips; i think you've helped me conclued that
XyWrite won't work on this beastie, alas. i still have some hope for
microEmacs, otherwise i'll probably throw the QP back onto eBay, from whence it
came.

thanks again,
cam