Re: Lost Expanded Memory

** Reply to message from Paul Breeze  on Tue, 4 Nov
2003 19:06:40 GMT

Paul:

> My bios is:
> Award Modular Bios v6.00PG
> The precise system bios is:
> 07/31/2003-i856G-6A79AG0FC-00

What hardware? I seem to recall a message that I posted here about USB
conflicts with EMS, but that might have been in another maillist... Anyway,
here's a map of reserved BIOS areas (on my primary machine, anyway):
 C0000-CDFFF (reserved for Video BIOS)
 DC000-DFFFF (reserved for USB BIOS) ==>This area is free when USB BIOS is
disabled
 E0000-FFFFF (reserved for BIOS)
Now, if I kill USB support in the system BIOS (i.e. don't load the USB BIOS), I
can load EMS. But with the USB BIOS installed, EMS won't run. So EMS (on my
machine) assigns its 64Kb swap buffer to a memory location in the area usurped
(on machine startup) by the USB BIOS. Modern machines so devalue EMS that they
make it impossible to run without the least hesitation. Let's face it, if they
gotta choose EMS<==>USB, they're not wrong. You may be out of luck on this one.

Wait a second --- here's one place I mentioned this issue:
 http://users.datarealm.com/xywwweb/xysearch.cgi?xywrite/2003/msg01079.htm

Ciao

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx