Re: XYdos & new desktop

** Reply to message from Judith Davidsen  on Wed, 08
Jan 2003 16:29:58 -0500

> 1. I have read on the list that some members have problems
> using XYdos4 with XP and some have no trouble at all. There
> seems to be an XP Pro, an XP Home, and other XPs. Which are
> giving trouble and which are not?

XP Pro is fine. I think if people are having trouble, it is not an issue of
the XP version, but rather just misconfiguration. Also, there are many genuine
issues with notebooks -- I've got a Dell Inspiron 4000 here running XP, and
when I try to run DOS programs, I get sticky keyboards (ALT and CTRL keys
especially sticking all the time), screens that won't retain an expansion
setting, all sorts of wierd "artifacts". If it were my personal notebook, I'd
get to the bottom of it -- maybe it's ME and not DELL! -- but I doubt it.
Luckily, the notebook belongs to the Cook/Housekeeper (you know Who), and she
runs DinkyDroop Word anyway, so...

> 2. Any one having any trouble using XYdos4 with a Samsung
> SyncMaster flat-panel monitor? Anyone happy.

I have a Syncmaster CRT, not flat panel -- a 17" job. It works, barely. Lousy
color, fuzzy definition, slow to warm up, few controls, no degaussing. I
wouldn't even mention it (because CRT and flat panel are peanuts and pipe
cleaners) except that, yes, I do have trouble with it doing (of all things)
Sync! The last time I saw this with any other monitor was at least 10 years
ago. The Samsung freezes up on Xy4DOS graphic mode and I have to close the Xy
session. Occasionally, it just won't toggle into DOS full screen VGA. I have
a spare MAG 17" at that location, and when I swap it in, all problems
disappear. So if this is an indication of Samsung engineering... the only
thing you can say for it is that it's better than GoldStar.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx