Re: Norm's keyboard problem...

Bob Zimmerman wrote:

> I have had a similar problem as Norm since the day I upgraded from Windows 3.11 to Windows 95. (I use Xy 3.55). When I switch (alt-tab) from Xywrite to any windows program and then back again, the Xywrite keyboard sometimes acts very strange, as if the alt, clt, or shift keys are stuck. My solution has always been to press these keys several times, either separately or together, which almost always clears the problem.

I think the Xy kbd. handler can indeed fight with the OS'es control of the kbd. Weren't there a
couple kbd. programming calls, such as NI, created to deal with this issue in certain situations ?
Anyway, it has to be significant that ALT-Tab is a _reserved_ combo. In Win and in OS/2, it happens
to be the default for switching between open windows and running programs. I'm not even sure if you
can change this to some
other combo, within the OS. In Xy3, it was the default for bringing up the Tab Menu. (I don't
think I've even seen the old Tab Menu in Xy4. If it does still exist, it must be tucked away
somewhere I haven't gone yet.)

I was going to say that it might be a good idea to avoid key-combo contentions like these, but then,
one of the reasons we still use Xy is the whole "Have it YOUR Way" thing. And it occurs
to me that when I moved to Xy4 several years ago, the multi-function TAB pgm. I had been using would
no longer work properly loaded onto the Tab key. So I moved it to ALT-Tab. In that case, under
OS/2, Xy wins out: there is NO
inadvertent switching to another window / program. This would not be the case under Win, I expect.

Jordan