Re: Translating XyWin to Word or WordStar -Reply

Hi, Tom. Thanks for joining in.

> Soft hyphens (a tilde in XyWrite, I think, visible only in expanded mode)
> sometimes convert as spaces. If hyphenation was turned on when you
> typed the files there are probably soft hyphens (or something else added
> by the hyphenation feature?) scattered throughout, sometimes in strange
> places (not at syllable breaks). Try deleting soft hyphens, or try
> converting some text typed with the setting HY=0. This happened to me
> about a year ago, and as I recall stripping out the soft hyphens was
> enough to get a clean conversion.

Interesting, but in my case it must be something else, since I don't
use hyphenation at all--which is fairly standard for manuscript
format, I think.

Strangely enough, though, I can now say that the extra spaces are a
non-random phenomenon--an export to RTF format produced a file with
extra spaces in exactly the same places. And yet my XyWrite file has
_nothing_ at those locations, even viewed in expanded mode.

I am more puzzled than ever.

    Michael

  ---] Michael Paul McDowell, writing as Michael P. Kube-McDowell
  ---] Author of THE QUIET POOLS and STAR WARS: THE BLACK FLEET CRISIS
  ---] Web Site: http://www.sff.net/people/K-Mac
  ---] Newsgroup: sff.people.Kube-McDowell at server NEWS.SFF.NET