Carl's Spell Frame

Friends,

Can anyone help me understand how to use the Spell frame in U2? The help frame for it is rather terse, thus:

Usage: SPELL

To spell-check, put subject file in current window
To correct, put SPELL.TMP in current window (cursor on word to correct) and subject file in alternate screen.

Then there's a line offering a way to show snaking columns, which does not seem essential. I've tried re-issuing SPELL while in the SPELL.TMP window and a few other things, none of which does any spell correcting. Give me a little help here if you can . . . Thank you.

Fred Weiner