Re: Why the ital. pgm at all?

I totally agree with Nathan, especially if the document is to be converted to HTML.

However, additive markup is built into the Xy4 keyboard file.

In my case Ctrl+I inserts , I type my text and Ctrl+I again and
 is inserted. Ditto for bold and underline in all the screen views except for expanded mode.

As far as I remember the bold, underline and italic key definitions came with the default Xy4
keyboard file: For example 23=XH,JM,(,I,t,a,l,i,c,)

Jon Inggs

Among other things, I have a perverse fondness for additive
markup (MD+IT, MD-IT) instead of MDIT,MDNM. The main reason for
ITAL.PGM and its siblings is to do markup, whether for new or
selected text, with one keystroke instead of two. I figure that
after another 30 years of doing so I will have saved enough time
to write an extra page of immortal prose.