Re: ntfs, fat32 vista and xp and line wrap

If I might add a few things here:

Starting size for Windows boot partitions (because
they have a tendency to grow and grow and grow):

W98 -- I don't really know. Is 1G adequate ?

W2K -- suggest 4 - 6 G. I've made a few that were
only 3G in size, and lived to regret it. (Multi-boot
drive migrations are not pretty.)

XP -- suggest more like 8 - 10 G. It's more of a hog
than 2K.
Vista -- I'm afraid to ask.

This assumes you are carving up the drive from the
git-go, and won't matter much to the legions of Win
users who just have one enormous C:.

4G is a lot of RAM. The traditional formula pegs
swapfiles at 1.5 x installed RAM. In this case, that
might be an Ouch. I'd be curious to hear what Flash
or Robert have to say about that. Lately, I've been
experimenting with much smaller swapfiles, but the
jury is still out on this for me. The effects on
performance probably depend on what apps you run, and
how many of them are being multi-tasked at one time.

Whatever is going to be on C:, having it be NTFS will
increase the risks of a lockout at some point, where
something like Winternals or Bart PE will be necessary
to access it. Personally, I wouldn't want to go
there, and wonder if a user like Avrom would either.

Patricia, I like your idea about the install CD
contents + drivers stored on the hard drive somewhere.

 Jordan