Re: CLIP's test of virtue -- and memory immunization ?

Robert wrote, re saving memory:
 I imagine that you have a number of programs or keystroke
sequences loaded on ordinary Save/Gets (macros) when you start up -- probably
they are what is gobbling up that amount of memory (not small, as macros go).
In general, the technique is to move those routines off macro keys and into an
XPL library, where they consume zero memory but operate identically (no
perceptible difference from the standpoint of user). I've been meaning to
write a FAQ about this for the longest time, but...
I saved a ton of memory by not using LDSGT XY4.SGT in STARTUP.INT (or
anywhere else). Anyone who is using LDSGT should cease and desist.
I'm not sure what an XPL library is (unless you mean incorporating into
U2). I just put into STARTUP.INT as separate lines things like:

BX ldpm c:\xy\macro.pgm,&m
I have 8 such LPDM lines, but my starting memory usage is now only 3. With LDSGT it was 7.
BTW, looking afresh at my STARTUP.INT, I see I have it set S/G 400 to
0. Does anyone recall if this was what S/G 400 was used for?

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx