RE: CLIP's test of virtue -- and memory immunization ?

-----Original Message-----
From: Carl Distefano

Brian H:
>>One very curious related quirk is the difference between CI and
>>CH. In really big files, CI is much more likely to "fail" than
>>CH.

Carl D:
>That would be curious indeed in Xy4, since CH and CI are the same
>command, and have been ever since the initial release of Signature
>in 1990. The old CH behavior (stopping momentarily at each change
>location) was eliminated. Both commands operate identically, as
>Change Invisible.

Since I rarely use Xy4 I didn't know about the change. I wonder if I'd still see the same large-file
problem using 4?

>>In my world, a 1.5Mb ascii file is fairly small...

>What world is that?

At work, where 99% of my XyWrite usage is performed. I work for a publishing company (Mitchell) that
puts out automotive repair
information. We've pretty much stopped publishing printed books, but when we did they were phonebook
size...and bigger. My job is to
take the jumbled mess that 30+ editors have created and turn it into a finished product. I use Xy to
do massive cleanup on the
anarchy. The only thing I could imagine doing a better job than XyWrite would be Pearl (or one of
the similar languages). But I'm
not nearly proficient enough yet.