Re: U2 version 119

Robert Holmgren wrote:

 VA/NV $M 6
11
That's a very high number for a system that is "at rest", i.e. not doing
anything. A well-oiled system should be around 3 -- maybe 5 with Stack. In
the normal course of your work, issue that command a dozen times or so. Is it
consistently around 11? Ever significantly lower? Ever a lot higher?

Throughout the evening it's been registering 10 and 11. I'll keep
at it.

Anyway, what happens now after I use STore and answer either y or N to the overwrite query on the black page is the text page (window 2) disappears and I am returned to the directory in window 1, only now window one is a half page divided horizontally by a dark double line. ABort gives me a blank Xy page divided horizontally. Quit gives me the blank blue page mentioned above, and I have to go through windows to get out of XY.

"Returned to the directory"?
What directory? I don't have any directory.

sorry, I should have mentioned, I call files from the directory
they are in: dir \directoryname, put the cursor on the filename ; f5 to cml, issue CAll , the file opens in the next window, leaving the directory in the first window.

Forgetting about the double horiz line for a moment, is XyWrite usable at this point? Frozen or not? Can you cursor around? Before, you said frozen...

Okay, when, after STore >HK>, y or N , I am returned to the
directory (half page, double line) I can cursor around, CAll other files, etc. BUT, if I ABort this directory page, I get a blank blue page and freeze there--no cursor, no movement, no command or status lines, no ruler, no way to enter type, doesn't respond to right or left mouse clicks. The only possibility at this point is to toggle into Win, close XY from there and then reopen it. (This is before fixing the defaults as you suggested; see below.)

Let's get rid of the double horizontal line first. Your window is set up all
wrong in XP (this is about the five hundredth time we've discussed this! over
and over and over, the same issues...). How do you launch XyWrite, from a
Desktop Shortcut? You _should_, otherwise it is harder to fix this. Assuming
that you launch from a Shortcut, start XyWrite, display it (Alt-Enter) in a
Desktop window, click on the upper left corner of the window (where the little
icon is), Defaults, Layout. Set both the Screen Buffer Size AND the Window
Size to Width = 80 and Height = 25. Save that (make it Permanent if the
program asks). You might need to quit and restart XyWrite at this point. But
now you won't have a horizontal line.

Changing to 80/25 (buffer height was 300!) 1. gives me a nicely readable screen font in Xy;
2. any directories I now call can't be cursored all the way to the bottom--some can't go beyond files beginning with the letter B. 3. If at the highlighted c: \xy4 prompt, I issue dir \bath, and call a file from the bath directory that way, after I close the file with ST , I jump immediately to the frozen blue page, where the cursor is all broken and jiggly but I can move it around. 4. If I issue dir \bath from the highlighted c:\, closing the file with ST gets me the status-line instruction to install Xywwweb.REG. I can still work in the file at this point, but the only way to get out of it is ST.
I haven't changed settings.dfl from 80/50 to 80/25 coincide with
the default changes made from the desktop shortcut.

As I think I previously indicated, right now this stuff is really irritating but it's not the end of the world.

Actually, Judith, these U2 frames are designed to reveal, or determine, or be used with, Long File Names. I'd certainly like to fix the frames, if they're broken (I think they're actually fine). But it would never occur to me to use them for basic STore, Quit, etc commands.

So are you telling me to forget ST and go back to ST? (I
don't think ever work with Quit.)(And as I write this report, I realize I automatically use for lots of things, but not for ST; this surely is a habit that can be changed fairly quickly.)
Well, I suspect that Editor's dir may not be in the DOS Path.Well, I suspect
that Editor's dir may not be in the DOS Path.
REG is designed to
be shared by several different installations, e.g. NB and Xy4,
simultaneously. So it goes in the DOS Path, not in any particular directory. I keep mine in Editor's dir. Putting Editor's dir in the DOS Path is a
fundamental REQUIREMENT of XyWrite, and always has been -- it's not something
imposed by U2.

Okay, this is where I *really* risk showing off my ignorance. I
don't have any partitions, so everythings is on c:. Editor.exe, xywwweb.u2 and xywwweb.reg are (among other things) in c:\xy4. My Autoexec.bat seems to be empty and I'm not quite sure where it is--Windows explorer says it contains 0 and is on c: but I don't see it directly on c:.

On the other hand, *if* Editor's dir *is* already in the DOS
Path, then it's a sure sign of OOM -- and you need to send me (privately,
ZIPped) your STARTUP.INT file (it wouldn't hurt to send SETTINGS.DFL too).

I'm hoping this won't be necessary. As you say,

One step at a time...

Thanks for everything
Judith