Re: Spam Avoidance

Nathan Sivin wrote:

> Sorry to repeat the well-known, but the last thing you want to do
> is reply to a spam message offering to take you off their list.

I could not agree more--unless you enjoy getting spam for the sake of
turning the spammer's accounts/web pages into smoking craters.

> The best response to spam continues to be zapping it and
> forgetting about it. Setting the spam filters on your email
> program will mean you never have to see 9/10 of it anyhow.

"Just hit delete"--that's the spammer's refrain! We each must do what we
think is best. I think the best response to spam is to learn to read
headers, traceroute web sites, notify open relay sys. admins., complain
to service provides, complain to appropriate legal entities, etc. It
may be only playing "whack-a-mole" but be part of the solution and not
part of the problem.

Just remember, it's a jungle out there and until spam is outlawed, only
outlaws will spam. So the more difficult we make it for them, the
easier it will be on everybody else.

Regards,

Lowell Anderson
WA State Spummeler