Re: OS2 Warp vs Win95

On Thu, 16 Apr 1998 09:30:56 -0400, James D. Besser wrote:

>After a few years of OS2 fanaticism, I recently switched to Win95; I use
>XyDos 4
>as my word processor.

I switched to OS2 in the 80's from DOS and after having tried WIN386. I wanted multitasking of DOS
progs
and that is just what I got. Running XYdos, AskSam, and a stats package simultaneously is easy,
secure,
and productive for me. Simply stated, OS2 runs dos better than dos. As for WIN3.1, well, I really
have only
two progs.... Quicken and one for the scanner; each works very well.

My son's machine at home runs WIN95 and, as has been mentioned, it is remarkable because it isn't as

stable and has a slew of (especially) games and edutainment on it. It's setup doesn't tax a 7 year
old; but it
doesn't seem to go as far in bedrock, reliable support once configured as does OS2.

All in all, OS2 seems to me to have been the best solution to personal computing... I say "have
been"
because, though IBM will support the present client system, system development for OS2 client has
apparently stopped.

On the practical level, OS2 works better than other present solutions... so I guess I'm not a
fanatic, but merely
a supporter.

Robert Woods
Department of History