Emacs keys

>I have been trying to get a straight answer to a couple of simple
>questions from a real emacs expert for a long time. First, my two

  I'm not.

>I log on via a 14.4K modem using Crosstalk. On both versions of gnu
>emacs that I use, despite their substantial differences in other
>respects, the meta-key using this modem and software is the escape key
>on my PC keyboard. To reformat text, I have first to press the escape
>key, and then the q key. The many meta-key commands that work that
>way are a pain.

  It's fairly simple -- you just edit the .emacs file in your
account. If it is something more machine specific, you should ask
on comp.emacs or gnu.emacs.help, they are extremely active groups
with lots more knowledgable users than me. I just use emacs as a
text editor, but am interested in getting more into it. Also I am
sending you the emacsfaq -- you might want to especially look at
Question 131, and also browse it for the keywords
"keymap", "keybinding" or "key binding", and "mapvar".
  At any rate, looking in your .emacs file should make it all
self-evident, at least in both my unix accounts there are much
explainations in the file itself. Your milage may vary, eh?
  The other thing I might suggest, since you don't seem to like
emacs -- why are you using it? You have the easy ability in any
unix account to use other editors. Even downloading your own and
setting them up in your account, if what you want isn't on your
machine.

-- Harmon Seaver hseaver@xxxxxxxx

hoka hey!

Copyright, Harmon F. Seaver, 1995. License to distribute this
post is available to Microsoft for US$1,000 per instance, or
local equivalent.