Re: TAME [was: Hardware ID (was Completely Off-Topic)]

Thanks for the suggestions, Michael. I'm pretty meticulous about uninstalling things myself. Though I do like it that Tame leaves behind its Settings folders when uninstalling, in case they're needed later.

I only get the XyList in daily digests, and after I fired off yesterday's email, I looked in Task Manager (also very slow to open) to see that NTVDM was using 99 percent of CPU resources, which was of course preventing anything else from loading. Maybe TAME wasn't fully loaded (though I could've sworn 4.5e was displayed in the window border).

Anyway, after much uninstalling and reinstalling, I have returned to 4.5e: fast cursor movement, no Thesaurus problems. In the interim I tried 5.0 with the settings Michael posted to the list some time back, but I find its cursor movement is irregular  (same as in 5.1) and it takes away my familiar font. Although playing with the settings on the shortcut displays my Raster Fonts font in 5.0  (under 8 x 12 if I'm remembering right), the only one I could get on screen (windowed)  was a very geometric Futura-like font.

Creature of habit? Perhaps. But it's going to take a lot of convincing for me to try another Tame "upgrade."

And actually I like my laptop's keyboard. Very quiet, good feel (Sony VAIO TX650). I remember reading about that projected-image keyboard, but if that's not begging for carpal tunnel syndrome, I don't know what is.

Jon Pareles

Do you Yahoo!?
Get on board. http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=40791/*http://advision.webevents.yahoo.com/mailbeta to try the new Yahoo! Mail.