Off topic: educational methods

Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 17:18:20 -0500
From: Patricia M Godfrey

> . . . Besides being an editor, I teach English grammar to other
editors in courses offered by editorial professional associations. .
. . The problem is that the in last two classes, no one wants to say
anything. They just sit there, mumchance. These are mature editors
taking the course as a brush-up or "continuing education," not timid
undergrads. . . .  Last year I even let them vote: Would you RATHER
sit and listen to me lecture, or shall we have discussion? They
unanimously voted for discussion, then sat there. . . .

A man I know, a retired industry programmer, supervises computer labs
at a MidWestern university. In labs the students are supposed to try
things they've heard about in class, & to learn everyday details of
keyboard & operating system.

My friend sings the same tune as Patricia: the twits only sit &
dawdle, mouths closed, faces blank, brains in neutral.

His office partner, who teaches C & C++, has the same impression
though of course lectures aren't exactly interactive.

In both places learning nears -- nil.

Wendell Cochran
West Seattle