Re: xydos4 screen freeze

Judith,

Whenever xydos freezes in Windows, it's almost always a keyboard-stick
issue: i.e., a ctrl character doesn't get unreleased and you think
you're pressing c, but XyWrite thinks you're pressing shift-c. The way
around this, and this goes all the way back to Tyson's book, is to
rename the keyboard files so that CTRL, say, becomes KTRL, SHIFT becomes
SHIFF, and ALT becomes ALTT.

Now, how to escape. Easy. The three-fingered salute. In Windows,
ctrl-alt-delete brings up the task manager menu. Scroll through it until
you find editor.exe and tell the program to cease operations. The other
option is shut down. You don't want to do that 'cause the machine will
reboot, which probably isn't necessary.

When you tell editor.exe to cease and desist, some incomprehensible
Windows message blather will come up and you must confirm that you
indeed want editor.exe to stop. Tell it again. You will be back at your
desktop. All should be well.

Judith Davidsen wrote:

> My screen in xydos4.018 (win98) just froze. Can't toggle
> between cmline and text, no cursor available, mouse and
>  and  accomplish nothing.
>
> I was using ch on the cmline, hit  with no result,
> hit  with no result, realized the screen was frozen.
> I was using back rather than forward slashes as separators,
> but would that matter?
>
> This is the second time xy froze on me in recent weeks.
> Can't remember what I was doing the first time it happened.
>
> Everything else--web, email, excel--is working.
>
> 1. is there some trick to get out of this or do I have to
> reboot?
>
> 2. any idea what might have caused it?
>
> thanks for any ideas
>
> Judith Davidsen

lb136@xxxxxxxx
61 W. 62 St, NYC 10023
212-459-0600 X7109 (phone) 212-459-3677 (fax)