Re: IBM dictionaries

** Reply to note from xywrite@xxxxxxxx Mon, 15 Nov 1999 22:57:15 +0100

Hmmm. You know, I never thought of starting out with one of the old
"small" DICtionaries, then swapping in one of the new big ones. Darn
good idea, and good intuitions! Because you're using auto-check all the
time, you are, by definition (sic), using the DICtionaries a lot more
than I am, and I really value your experience, because I think these
DICtionaries are important. I'm extremely interested in the
international use of this word processor; the Germans, Dutch, Russians,
and Scandinavians, in particular, are writing incredible software
(especially freeware and shareware) these days, and they should be using
XyWrite.

Another strategy -- the one I use -- is to set a "big" DICtionary as
my opening UD in SETTINGS.DFL, but not to set VAriable OM at all, so that
it defaults to 31 (Microlytics). I then toggle to OM=0 (PCLEX), and
everything is well -- for that _one_ DICtionary. But, as you say,
auto-check crashes the session every time. One part of your message is
not clear to me: does Auto-Check work for you only with the old small
DICs, or also with the big new ones?

I'm intrigued that you use the Italian DICT.SPL. Do you use the little
XyWrite version (198K) or the big NotaBene one (393K)? The XyWrite one
seemed to be very poor and "thin"... What's your opinion (as to quality)
of the big new Italian DIC with thesaurus?

I must add, that you write long, articulate messages in a foreign
language with zero errors. Is that proof that spell checkers really
do work, or are you just gifted?

Bye --

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx