Re: Ever have a keyboard die on you ?

--- On Thu, 5/17/12, Lisa Kleinholz  wrote:

Yes. I killed and Avant Stellar with popcorn.  Another Avant Stellar (now protected with a
skin) seemed to fail a few weeks ago, but that turned out to be the ps2 connector receptacle in the
computer. A ps2-usb converter that works well can be found at Radio Shack.
Alas, Avant Stellar keyboard is no longer made, as far as I can tell.

 Lisa Kleinholz

Which skin, and where did you get it ? (I would have thought this
needed to be a custom fit, for each keyboard model ?)

The latter-day alternative keyboards mentioned here are all PS/2,
whereas this connection has been gone from most computers --
including models back as far as 2006 that I still use -- for a good
while now. Therefore, a good converter is a must. And I've tried
a few that were *not* good. The one from RS I will look into,
despite their prices, since their store locations are so much
closer. (A lot of the routine items I get at Fry's can cost 1/2
of what RS sees fit to charge. Sometimes even a much greater
disparity, like $20. for a USB cable that would go for $5. at
Frys ! But I think those SIIG converters, which were dual Mouse +
Keyboard, ran in the $15. to $20. range.)

 Jordan