Re: Faxing from Xy/Dos

>I recently upgraded from FaxWorks lite to the new FaxWorks Pro. It says I can
>fax from DOS apps by setting the printer port as LPT3 and loading the IBM-x24e.prn.
>I tried this, and it seems to be printing to the fax printer--but what it sends is
>72 blank pages.
>
>Has anybody gotten this feature to work? What am I doing wrong?
>Would I do better with a HP Laser Jet printer file? If so, which one do I
>need?

The HP LaserJet is I think the preferred one for FaxWorks; I use
HPDJ-PL.PRN (12-14-94) and get fine results every time. Usually the
culprit for these sorts of problems is the FaxWorks printer driver.

Are you using Xy4? Try this: set up that HP driver to use LPT3 in
settings.dfl (I seem to remember this took a little doing, so if it
doesn't do it through the menu configuration, call up the settings
file and enter it manually; I think there's a place to put the total
number of printers, don't forget this.)

Then, get to the settings of the FxPrint driver: RMB on the driver
object, and go to the second page, Printer Driver. Make sure the
right driver is selected (mine says FXPRINT.FAX) and click on the Job
Settings box. You want the LPT Emulation set to HP Laserjet PCL --
there may be other settings you want to futz with as well on this
page. Close the object and try again -- I'd be surprised if it
didn't work. (Also make sure the printer port is set up properly but
it doesn't sound as though this is your problem.)

This is an *outstanding* application, IMO (have used it for nigh five
years now). Don't overlook the user-configurable button bars, easy
import; also you can drag and drop things off the log into another
directory.

Rafe T.