Re: Getting Xy4Dos Up & Running on T61 with XP-Pro

≪For years we've all been copying working Xy setups from one PC to
another. And please, everybody, keep a known good copy (or several)
someplace for this kind of eventuality. ≫

Amen, sister.
Alternative workaround: assuming you've got a working copy somewhere, put it on CD ROM or USB stick and try launching Xy from the CD or USB stick.
You'll need to edit your current startup.int file (e.g., in notepad) and
change the default drive letter to your external drive (CD ROM or USB
socket). Then copy the Xy working directory to CD ROM or USB stick and
run Xy from the external drive.
Of course, you can also put as much or as little DOS or TAME on the
CD/memory stick as you wish and have your own little self-contained
world there.
I find this works very well when I am on the road doing consulting work
for clients who have all manner of Windows versions. I merely have to
tweak the external drive letter in startup.int to match that of the USB
socket on each new machine, and away we go. I've never had a problem
getting Xy to run from a memory stick in any Windows version, once the
drive letter matched the path in startup.int.
One advantage of running Xy off a CD or memory stick is that it is
unaffected by Windows service packs on the host machine.