Nail.exe in Windows -- Virus problem, I think

Several days ago my virus program announced the file "nail.exe" had a virus
and asked if I wanted to delete the file. Never having heard of "nail.exe,"
I told the program to delete the file.

Now, my computer (Compaq Presario, Windows XP) periodically just goes to
sleep and I have to unplug it and reboot.

Does anyone know what the deal is on this?

Several months ago I had a problem and someone suggested that I get into the
"repair" folder to replace a file, which I did, and lived happily ever
after, until this week.

Sadly, I went and erased my old XyWrite files and have been unable to get
into the XY database to find the old message. To be more honest, I have a
hundred things going and haven't taken the time to do this.

Does anyone know a quick fix on this? Or a long fix, since I do need the
machine to live.

Thanks.