Status, Portable

Paul: Plural of status in Latin would be status. It's a 4th-declension
noun with identical singular and plural in the nominative. (Actually, the
u is long in the plural, short in the singular, but written the same.) So
I'd stick with the English plural statuses; if you write "the various
status" it just sounds wrong in English (except to the infinitesimal
number of people like me who know enough Latin to know it's right).
	A while back Carl posted a neat little item called portable.int, which
was supposed to let you run XyWrite from any directory. But apparently
not any drive. I cannot get it to work when the drive is not specified in
Startup.int and settings.dfl. Am I doing something wrong? Or do I need to
parse the path (which gets saved to a SG) so as to get the first three
characters (the drive letter, the colon, and the backslash), save that to
a SG, and then put that in the slots for default drive? If there's some
way to do this, it would be really useful, because with the commodious
mobile media we have now (CD-Rs, ZIP Disks, MemorySticks, etc.) one could
run XyWrite on any PC one happened to be working at. It would also be
useful for creating a working copy and moving it when one needs to
upgrade, without trying to install under 32-bit Windows, which is--as
someone here was pointing out--difficult if not impossible.
Patricia