Converting diacriticals

This comment is perhaps superfluous, or unhelpful, but ...

I think I must be failing to understand the problem: you do have XyWin
4.12 but you don't have XyDos 4.017? and you have files created in XyDos
4.017, but you can't read the diacritics when you open those files in XyWin
4.12? Below ASCII 254, I don't see how this can be a problem.

I have not found any diacritics in files created in XyDos 4.017 that
couldn't be read correctly in XyWin 4.12, or vice versa. (There may be
some *formatting* strings that differ between the two programs, but those
should always appear between guillemets in both XyWrites and should
therefore be at least readable in expanded display, if not operative
without modification.)

I've just created a sample file using the characters mentioned, and used
"Save As" to convert the file both from XyWrite for Dos 4.017 and from
XyWrite for Windows 4.12J into Microsoft Word. Not having WordPerfect, I
couldn't do the "Save As" conversion into WP, because I'd have no way to
check the result; but I did convert the file into MS Word 5.0, and it reads
correctly -- except for ASCII 260, the em-dash character.

Regards
Eric Van Tassel