Re: Murphy's Law: (was Re: off-topic: scheduled backup to external hard drive

George,

That's authoritative.

However, according to the Murphy's law website
http://www.murphys-laws.com/murphy/murphy-true.html, the term was coined
by Col. John Paul Stapp, MD.

There must be another law that says that everybody will have a different
version of every story.

Norman

At 03:50 AM 4/7/06 -0400, George Scithers wrote:

>Well, I actually corresponded with the real Ed Murphy, United
>States Military Academy, class of 1943, formerly a Major, USAF,
>when he was a civilian in quality control at Hughes and I was the
>editor of Isaac Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine.

>According to
>Murphy Himself, his original remark was (approximately) "If
>there's anything the contractor's technical representative can do
>wrong, he will," referring mostly to putting things together
>wrong. Murphy Himself intended to do an extensive article (or
>book) on the Law, mostly on what to do about the tendency of
>people to do things wrong unless doing so is too much more
>trouble than doing them right.

Norman Bauman
411 W. 54 St. Apt. 2D
New York, NY 10019