Xy to Word

I almost finished writing a 20,000-word article in Xy 3.55. It has to be
converted to MS Word for publication. I intend to hand it in as
minimally-formatted text.

Question: How do I convert the quotation marks (") into open and closed
quotes?

My first inclination is to do a search and replace in Xy, to convert a
carrier return followed by a quotation mark, or a space followed by a
quotation mark, into an open quote (``). Then in Word I can search and
replace the open quote (``) into standard Word open quotes, and the
original quotation marks (") into standard Word closed quotes.

What could go wrong with that? (Well, maybe quotes immediately before or
after parentheses. But besides that.)

Norman

Norman Bauman
411 W. 54 St. Apt. 2D