Re: Long View

On Thu, 16 Jan 1997, Carl L. Distefano wrote:

> We all know (but are prone to forget) that besides Draft View, Page-Line
> View and Expanded View, there's something called the Long View. I toggled
> into this highly-useful mode this morning, on reading a front-page account
> in the NY Times (sorry, Harmon) of what might be described as the Ultimate
> Bug (Feature?). I take the liberty of quoting excerpts, the contemplation
> of which may lend perspective to the present proceedings:

< snip snap snop >

> -> The decomposition of protons, basic particles of ordinary
> -> matter, will destroy what remains of the stellar relics, thus
> -> ringing down the curtain on the degenerate era in 10 trillion
> -> trillion trillion years....
> ->

< sniiiiiiiiiip >

What's the rush, Carl? The National Edition of the Times says we've
got 10 trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion
trillion years, & repeats the number as 10^100.

But maybe you're right. What we read out here ought to be called the
Trial Edition, & I gather that John rewrote the story for the final.

So let's not be laggard.

Wendell Cochran
West Seattle