Re: Data copying to CD etc. (off topic but a burning issue)

Eric wrote:
Yes, I accept that data copying isn't per se a XyProblem; but Bill Troop's
e-mail (in digest 2079) drags me out of denial, and makes me face the fact
that for months now I've been failing to back up anything because I can't
get Easy CD Creator or its siblings to work for me. I'd been wondering
about Nero, but Bill Troop has me doubting it. Any advice about CD-burning
software that does work?
I have to agree with those who recommend an external hard drive instead. The prices are incredibly low, and the ease of backup and of accessing what's backed up is unbeatable. As I've said before, I use a .bat file to call xcopy32 and do an incremental backup in DOS. The batch file has a lot of context-establishing and error-checking lines, but the essential is this one command:

xcopy32 c:\*.* /c /e /f /h /v /d %one:\
Where %one has been previously defined as the appropriate drive-letter of the external drive.

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx