Wireless access (off topic)

I'm interested in what Robert wrote about free wireless that's "in the air"
most places. It would be a great boon to be able to preserve connectivity
when I'm on the road. Two questions:
1. If I connect to an unsecured, non-encrypted broadcaster, am I at risk?
Exposed? I have the normal firewall that comes with wireless (not ZoneAlarm
or anything like that). I use WEP at home, but I assume that wouldn't be
part of this hitch-hiking.
2. Is the hitch-hiking moral and legal? E.g., would my usage slow down the
person whose access point I'm using?
I was going to solve the on-the-road problem by getting an adapter (Radio
Shack has them) to use a cell phone to dial out from my laptop. But
wireless broadband would be infinitely better.

TIA,
Harry

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx