Re: Windoze questions

On Sun, 5 Feb 1995 22:45:16 -0500, OkAnnie@xxxxxxxx wrote:
> Harmon--For folks who need to use high-end apps that can exist only in a
> graphical environment, the choice is Windows or Mac. The 80x86 gui that
> Corel, Quark, and other high-end graphics developers write for is Windows.
>   --annie

  Actually, Annie, the high-end graphics people wouldn't go near
a windoz machine. They invariably use an Indy or Iris from
Silicon Graphics, or a Sun or HP workstation -- or at the least,
a very, very, beefed-up Mac. A crummy 16bit windoz system doesn't
have the muscle to do real graphics -- those apps are for the
sandbox league desktop publishing crowd.
  Admittedly, OS/2 is handicapped by a lack -- thus far -- of
native
32bit apps which utilize it's power and the 32bit hardware, but
this situation is changing -- Corel says it will have a native
OS/2 version out this year. When they do, I can finally rid my
machine of that cursed code. Actually, when the PowerPC hits the
market later this year, the whole scene will change quite
rapidly. I'll be able to run those high-end Mac graphic programs
under OS/2, and any developer like Corel who doesn't port their
software over will join the CP/M developers. And that, of course,
means a total re-writing of all windoz applications, whereas the
OS/2 apps just have to be recompiled. This means, of course, that
the "vast market base" of windoz apps will just hit the trash
bin.

Harmon Seaver hseaver@xxxxxxxx hseaver@xxxxxxxx
seaverh@xxxxxxxx harmon@xxxxxxxx

All is impermanent -- and this too shall pass away.