Re: XyWriters: XyWWWeb Needs Your Help! Please read...

[Robert Holmgren:]

>We wish to locate anyone who holds caches of old (especially
>really old) Email or BBS messages pertaining to XyWrite.
>Our own archives have the following big "holes", which need
>filling:
>
>*Missing* Messages:
>------------------
>xywrite@xxxxxxxx (this mail list):
>  August 1995
>  September-November 1996
>  April-August 1997
>  October-December 1997 (very spotty,we'd
>   love a clean, complete archive of this
>   period)
>  Parts of 1998 except December (we could
>   use a clean, complete archive of _all_
>   of 1998)

   I'm fairly sure I have all archives for this list that were available at
the time I joined (perhaps 2 to 3 years ago), up to that time when I joined.
The problem is that my hard disk is not very organized at present, and I am not
sure where they are.
   Would these be wanted? If so, I could make an attempt to find them. The
question that comes to mind is: would I have received them as e-mail when I
requested them from the server (in other words, are they going to be amongst my
e-mail files)?; or would I have downloaded them from a web site myself (in other
words, would they then be elsewhere on my computer, on a driver other than C:)?
I don't remember now how I obtained them; but if someone could tell me this
(perhaps they remember how the archives were arranged), it would help me in
searching for them on my computer.
   It may sound difficult to believe, but a quick superficial search in either
location doesn't show them up - yet I am almost certain I *did* get them in some
form, and they must be there. (Yes, I know it may sound astonishing that I
can't find something I feel sure is on my computer. But that's the way it is.)
   I'm willing to have another, longer look for those files if they will be
useful - but would appreciate being told first whether they are wanted. Or
perhaps someone else has already supplied them.

>We strongly PREFER original, unaltered POP files, with
>attachments (if any).

   I can't say whether mine are like this. I don't even know what POP files
are, and do not recall whether the archives included attachments. But they
would be in exactly the format in which list members received the archives at
the time I got them - in other words, I didn't change them in any way.

             Regards,
             Michael Edwards.